Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Plenty of Fish in the Sea

I gaze out of a hotel window
High above the city                                                      I
Sit, cheap linen curtains
On either side

Cars whizz by, in a hurry
Off to an unknown destination, I can almost                 Feel
Their pulses quicken as
Unwanted vehicles drift into their lane

Longingly I look at the city so full
Of noise it makes my ears                                           Numb
With ringing.  The fuzzy white
Buzz of hustle and bustle

I came here alone
No company in tow.  No reason at                              All
To come to such a destination
I seek no great adventure

So many people in such a small space
Is there another person here out                                   Of the
Seemingly billions crammed on this island
That feels as I?

I packed up my empty heart, ragged suitcase
And spent a fair amount of                                           Time
On a train for what purpose?
To remind myself of how lonely I am?

R.R.

No comments:

Post a Comment